Eight Pieces of Silk Brocade Qigong
Penetrating Heaven and Earth
Penetrating Heaven and Earth, also known as One-Armed Pillar, is the third form in the 8 Pieces of Brocade. This movement improves digestion, supports lymph drainage, and calms your nervous system.
1. Imagine that you are drawing energy from the heavens with the hand extending up, and energy from the earth with the hand that is extending down. Draw this energy into your body.
2. Keep your chin level and your neck relaxed. Your gaze should be on the horizon.
3. Really press up and down with each hand, flattening the palms as much as possible.
One of the cornerstone’s of Radiant Shenti’ qigong is the qigong flow called “8 Pieces of Brocade.”
This flow moves every muscle, joint, lymph node, and organ in your body. It opens up meridians so qi can flow throughout your body, helping it rejuvenate, strengthen, and heal.
In addition to the internal benefits, the postures that make up the 8 movements give you tone, lean muscles. They also enhance movement in the lymphatic system, and boost your lung capacity.
The 8 movements are:
1. Holding up the heavens like a pillar
2. Drawing a bow to shoot an arrow
3. Penetrating heaven and earth
4. Wise owl gazing backwards
5. Sway the head and shake the tail
6. Punching the fists and glaring
7. Moving hands down the legs
8. Bouncing on the toes
Before and after several movements, you will also see a movement called sinking the qi. That means that you are bringing your qi (energy) to the area behind and below your belly button (the lower dantian).