Eight Pieces of Silk Brocade Qigong
Wise Owl Gazes Backward
Wise Owl Gazes Backward is the fourth form in the 8 Pieces of Brocade qigong sequence. Energize the movement of qi along the spine. Clear a foggy head and relax your spirit.
1. Keep your spine straight and relaxed.
2. Sink your tailbone down towards the ground.
3. Your gaze should be far off into the horizon, as far as you can imagine seeing.
4. Keep your shoulders down and relaxed.
This flow moves every muscle, joint, lymph node, and organ in your body. It opens up meridians so qi can flow throughout your body, helping it rejuvenate, strengthen, and heal.
In addition to the internal benefits, the postures that make up the 8 movements give you tone, lean muscles. They also enhance movement in the lymphatic system, and boost your lung capacity.
The 8 movements are:
1. Holding up the heavens like a pillar
2. Drawing a bow to shoot an arrow
3. Penetrating heaven and earth
4. Wise owl gazing backwards
5. Sway the head and shake the tail
6. Punching the fists and glaring
7. Moving hands down the legs
8. Bouncing on the toes
Before and after several movements, you will also see a movement called sinking the qi. That means that you are bringing your qi (energy) to the area behind and below your belly button (the lower dantian).