How to thicken hair naturally comes from approaching your hair internally and externally.
Internally, you're looking at nutrition. Read more about nutritional strategies in our article on super foods that help you get thick hair.
Here are our best external hair care techniques.
Reading time: 4 minutes
How to Thicken Hair Naturally in 3 Easy Steps
1. Love your scalp
A proven way to thicken hair naturally: Give yourself a calming scalp massage.
Massaging your scalp with your fingers, or combing with a wood comb, have been used for centuries to prevent hair loss, thicken hair, and stop premature graying naturally.
Finger Massage Method
- Begin by placing all ten fingers along your hairline, with your pinkies at the center, and the thumbs outside.
- Make circular motions as you move your hands back and down to the base of your skull.
- Repeat, starting this time with your thumbs closer to your ears.
- Continue for 5-10 minutes at least once a day.
Enhance the effectiveness of a DIY scalp massage with rosemary oil. Dr. Eva Zhang, a Radiant Shenti advisor, recommends using rosemary oil in her book, Your Guide to Holistic Beauty. It's an ancient secret backed up by modern research.
- 2 tablespoons of a carrier oil such as jojoba oil
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary oil
How to thicken hair naturally - Combing method
You can also comb your hair 100 strokes each night with a high-quality wood comb. Comb in all directions, including side to side, back to front, and front to back. Click here for a relaxing video that shows you how.
2. Get Your Blood Pumping
Physical exercises, stretches, and massage techniques improve the condition of your blood, circulation, and, of course, your hair.
Walking outside at least 15 minutes per day improves your circulation. More blood pumping means more blood to nourish hair follicles.
How to thicken hair naturally - Qigong exercises
Qigong exercises that strengthen the heart and kidneys supercharge hair growth.
In addition to pumping your blood, qigong repairs the effects of stress on your body. When you feel calmer, your hormones stay balanced which prevents hair loss and keeps your hair thick and lustrous.
Get Your How to Get Thick Hair Superfoods Guide
Sign up to get your free guide on superfoods for thick hair sent straight to your inbox.
3. Do Acupressure Massage
How to thicken hair naturally also means being kind to your meridians. You can compare meridians to energy circuits. When open, your body feels energized.
The most important energy circuit to open for you hair - the Kidney system. Strong kidneys are essential for thick hair.
How to thicken hair naturally - Stroke your kidneys
- Place the backs of your hands on your back up by the kidneys.
- Stroke down along the spine until you reach the lower back.
- Lift your hands off your back, place them at the starting position.
- Stroke down for 49 repetitions at least once a day.
- Click here for the How-to video.
Getting thick hair comes from healthy choices that move your blood and qi (energy). The most targeted healthy choices for thick hair include eating the right foods, loving your scalp, and moving your body.